Vice President for Business and Finance
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Position Title||Vice President for Business and Finance|
|Department||Business & Finance|
|Faculty, Staff, Admin or Student||Staff|
|Number of Vacancies||1|
|Desired start date||07/03/2017|
The Vice President for Business and Finance serves as the chief financial officer (CFO) and has overall responsibility for directing and managing the University’s financial affairs and ensuring that the university makes sound strategic decisions on the use of its financial resources. The Vice President for Business and Finance is a member of the President’s Cabinet and has oversight of the University’s $166 million operating budget and all financial affairs including budgeting and forecasting, financial planning, accounting and controller functions, and investment management.
With a division of 145 employees, the Vice President for Business and Finance oversees the Business Office, the Budget Office, Human Resources, Public Safety, and Auxiliary Services. The Vice President is responsible for setting and enforcing all financial policies, procedures and controls.
|Minimum Required Education||
• B.S./B.A. degree in Management, Finance, Accounting, or related field is required.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification or advanced degree (e.g. MBA,
|Minimum Required Experience||
• Seven (7) to ten (10) years of accounting/finance experience that includes at least five (5) years supervising staff members. Higher Education experience required.
• Substantial experience in a position of financial leadership. Relevant experience with accounting and financial systems in complex organizations, demonstrating proven success as a financial leader.
|Minimum Required Licenses and/or Certifications||
Preferred qualifications: both a CPA and advanced degree.
|Skills and Abilities||
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Record of accomplishment in developing effective financial strategies that uphold and promote the fiscal strength and integrity of the organization.
• Demonstrated understanding of fiscal principles and standards, preferably in an academic environment.
• Strong communication, organizational and interpersonal skills; and a high level of professional integrity.
• A record of working on a collegial basis through consultative processes with other groups and offices within the university (e.g., faculty, administration, staff, faculty and staff senates in setting of shared governance).
• Ability to manage emergencies and crisis situations.
• Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participate in strategic planning efforts with the President, Senior Vice President and Provost and the executive leadership team.
• Analyze and interpret financial information and development of business operation plans, forecast critical milestones and potential obstacles, and evaluate alternate courses of action; balance short-term and long-term strategic objectives to maximize the university’s financial performance, and ensure its ongoing financial strength and its mission.
• Manage all borrowing and cash management functions and provide financial accounting reporting for all University funds.
• Plan and execute financial transactions of the University, ensuring that adequate capital is on hand.
• Ensure proper maintenance of financial records in compliance with finance and accounting standards.
• Direct the preparation of the annual budget and oversee its execution throughout the year to achieve business objective.
• Oversee the debt/capital structure of the University on an ongoing basis.
• Comply and follow MS Institutions of Higher Learning policies, procedures, and regulations.
• Comply with SACS standards and guidelines.
• Establish and update procedures for and exercise control of approved budgets, financial accounting systems and collection and disbursement of funds.
• Provide transparency in the operations of fiscal affairs.
• Provide leadership and supervision for the Division of Business and Finance. Create and implement a strategic vision to meet Divisional and University goals and initiatives.
• Must be able to travel (5%).
• Perform other duties as assigned.
|Job Duties and Responsibilities|
Posting Detail Information
Jackson State University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
|Background Check Statement||
Jackson State University is committed to providing a safe campus. JSU conducts background checks for applicants being considered for employment. Background checks include reference checks, criminal history/record check and when appropriate a credit report or driving history report.
|Open Until Filled (overrides close field)||Yes|
|Special Instructions to Applicants|
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
What is the highest degree attained/conferred?
- High School Diploma
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- Specialist degree
- Juris Doctorate
Can you provide proof of degree attained/conferred?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document 1
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3